I’m having a week off this week. It’s a chance to get my head together, have a little R&R with the family and catch up with some jobs around the house. The first two days have been dominated by DIY, specifically (and frustratingly) one job!
On my list there was one job that was one of those “quick wins” and would involve (or so I thought) half an hour of fettling then the chance to satisfyingly cross it off the list. However, never work with Children, animals or cupboard doors!
My list said, “Re-hang airing cupboard sliding doors!” (they kept jamming)
No problem, just whip off the doors, adjust the wheel mounts, apply a dab of grease, re-hang and all done!
However, this is progress to date:
1. Remove doors, adjust and re-hang but find they still don’t work
2. Remove doors again, adjust, rehang, test and they still don’t work
3. Remove doors, remove wheel mounts, relocate, re-hang and find they still don’t work
4. Several more attempts before realising that the track the wheels run on was beyond repair and the actual source of the problem!
5. Remove all the tracking, then go and buy hinges to convert airing cupboard to conventionally hinged doors.
6. Realise that the doors are designed to overlap and thus hinging them will mean they cannot close, doh!
7. Locate smaller doors, fit with hinges, NICE! However as they do not meet in the middle I need to find a piece of wood EXACTLY 6.5 inches in width that will fill gap.
8. Go to builders merchants, obviously I cannot find a piece of wood that size so spend an hour planing a piece to the correct width! Clear up insane amounts of wood shavings, discover than my planing is not all that even, doh!
9. Fit the piece of wood between the doors
10. As the doors I now have are full of holes, fill holes and start painting them.
11. Build new fascia for above the doors as the old one would prevent the hinged doors opening.
12. Fit new handles and magnetic catches.
Aaaarrghghghghghghgh! And to make it worse my planned sea kayaking trip tomorrow looks doomed, not just ‘cos I NOW have painting to do BUT because there is a 35mph breeze forecast and I suspect the Lifeboat people will take a dim view of an amateur paddler in entirely the wrong equipment taking to the ocean!
Captains Log Supplemental: My daughter appears to be wandering round the house singing an ammended version of "My Boomerang won’t come back," her lyrical improvisation of the last verse is rendered as,
"Dad I know the trick and to you I’m going to show it
If you want your plane-ing to be straight, then first you have to mark it!"